Bottesford Parish WW1 Centenary Project
Volunteer & Reps Meeting held on Thursday 17th April @ 7.30pm,
Bottesford Chapel Meeting, Room,
Devon Lane, Bottesford.
• Matters arising from the 1st Meeting held on the 20/3/14)
– attendance at the Beaumanor Hall Wartime Leicestershire Exhibition (23/3/14)
– U3A VOB Choir WW1 Song Concert (Mar/April 2015) – planning
– Web and archive update Community Sites Ltd
– volunteer hours and activities for March
– archive donations to date
– Radio Leicester Primary School
– School Activities Day 2015
– British Legion Saturday 13th September Bottesford and Muston (early pm 40 mins) Reading of the Names; Lay a wreath; Last Post sounded by a Bugler – video
– Community Launch Meeting, VC Hall (4-6pm) Sunday 28th September
– Muston ‘Peace and Commemoration’ Flower Festival August Bank Holiday 2015
– Twitter and Facebook
– Bottesford Gala Project Publicity Stall (Monday 5/5/14) – format and volunteer rota
– ‘Using and interpreting military service records’ – Jonathan D’Hooge
Notes for meeting held on Thursday 17th April @ 7.30pm
Apologies – Geoff Spencer, Sue Dunsmore, Barbara and Alan Pizzey
Present – David Slater, Will Wiseman, David Bend, John Miller, Jonathan D’Hooghe, Val Lever, Peggy Topps, Peter Topps, Graham Collins, John Simpson, Horward Matthews, Kate Pugh, Neil Fortey, Vic Martin, Ken Roberts, Bob Sparham, Susan Meech, Mike Meech, Sue Middleton, David Middleton, Mell Turner, (21)
Bottesford WW1 Service List – to be made available via Google Drive.
Listed in blue are those named on the Bottesford war memorial.
Beaumanor Hall Wartime Leicestershire Exhibition (23/3/14)
David & Sue Middleton, Mary & Malcolm Owen, Neil Fortey attended
Contact made with Deputy Vice Lord Lieutenant: Coordinating Leicestershire WW1 Projects – enquiry re attendance at September Project launch
U3A VOB Choir WW1 Song Concert (Mar/April 2015) 14/4/14
• U3A Choir members: John Simpson, Isobelle Daw, Barbara Cob and David Middleton – WW1 concert planning discussion Isobelle and John Daw have worked on a concert plan for the Sutton cum Granby Singers. Chronology of music and narration of war time news. Aim to model concert content on their work kindly made available to us.
Action: Liaise with Val Lever the Choir Secretary
• Possibilities of performing in period dress. Incorporation of music from performed by Primary School children to be discussed with Liz Mills from Bottesford Primary School.
Action: Liaise with Liz Mills
• Also incorporate a mini exhibition of relevant material, eg concert information from the Grantham Journal.
• Timing of concert April 2015 after completion of building work in the Church
Action: Liaise with Malcolm Owen – Friends of St Mary’s on the final date.
Web and archive update Community Sites Ltd
Upgrade of the site by Community Sites well in hand.
Discussions with Jack Latimer (14/4/14) from Community sites to draw up requirements for the structure of the catalogue.
Further discussion scheduled for 2/5/14 (Neil Fortey, DM and Jack Latimer)
Action: Website training to be organized after upgrade.
Volunteer hours and activities for March
Mike Meech has kindly drawn up guidelines for reporting accurate volunteer hours.
Hours for March 700 plus.
Archive donations to date
1914 Community: Asher, Taylor, Derby, Goodson, Norman, Harby
2014 Community: Dilys Shepherd, Joan & Ian Norris, John Dockrell, Peggy Topps Topps, Stan Stewart
See web site for information
Radio Leicester Primary School
Children’s presentations, drawing on Project research, for Radio Leicester World War 1 At Home to be broadcast in November. See web site for details
Bottesford Gala Project Publicity Stall (Monday 5/5/14)
Information stall similar to the Beaumanor.
Action: Doodle a volunteer rota (DM); Prepare exhibition material.
Primary School Activities Day Sept/Oct 2015
The participation of the Taff Gillingham’s group, the Khaki Chums, requires confirmation. They are much in demand and we need to identify a specific date and have them confirmed asap.
Action: DM to contact Taff G. asap to request firm date. TG agreed to give a definitive answer sometime the week beginning 19/5/14
David Howley from the Hose and Harby RBL contacted us. They are organizing a commemorative event for the Saturday 13th September 2014.
• The Branch will visit 10 Churches/Memorials in the Vale: – Long Clawson, Hose, Harby, Plungar, Barkestone, Redmile, Bottesford, Muston and Stathern. Starting at 10 AM and finishing at approximately 4 PM – a long day!
• At each location the party will form up with the standard and march to the location of the memorial cross or plaque.
• A branch member will give a short explanation of the purpose – Remembrance – to honour the memory and sacrifice of those named, honouring the RBL promise “We will remember them”; Followed by a short prayer by Rev Fred Connell (Branch Chaplin) or your own curate if so preferred; Reading of the Names; Lay a wreath; Last Post sounded by a Bugler; party departs. It is estimated that a maximum of 20 minutes at each location will be enough to fulfil the reading etc.
• At Stathern a short service will be held followed by refreshments at The Plough (4 PM).
Action: Liaise with the RBL and record their ceremonies at Bottesford and Mustion
Twitter and Facebook
Sue Meech has done a fantastic job in developing the profile of the project on Twitter and Facebook. Our following is gathering momentum – over 200 followers on Twitter to date.
Facebook: Bottesford Parish WW1 Centenary
Community Launch Meeting, VC Hall (4-6pm) Sunday 28th September
Action: To be discussed at the next meeting
Eg., Who to invite – MP, Local & County Councillors, Schools, Churches, Clubs & Societes etc?
Muston ‘Peace and Commemoration’ Flower Festival
Scheduled for August Bank Holiday 2015.
To be organised by the Muston Church PCC. Confirmed by John Ives
Action: Liaise with John Ives
– ‘Using and interpreting military service records’ – Jonathan D’Hooghe
Fascinating presentation and discussion introducing the use and interpretation of Service Records.
See Jonathan’s Presentation notes below
Issues to be resolved:
Use of Google Drive to distribute project material
Action: DM to mount test files and invite people to access them
Protocol for web-site
Scanning of picture & documents
archival standards to be agreed – high resolution
Accuracy of captions
Rules for cataloguing
In negotiation with Ancestry for Group subscription, very slow in replying.
Ancestry still available in Public libraries.
Draw up list of those who have current access
Action: DM circulate
Establish interest groups and necessary resources for research and activity
Action: Next meeting
Thursday 17th April @ 7.30pm
Bottesford Chapel Meeting Room