Bottesford Airfield

Locally known as Normanton Airfield

By David Middleton

Bottesford Airfield, April 1944

The following web links give an interesting history of the development of the Normanton Airfield in the 2nd World War.

Officially designated as the Bottesford Airfield by Bomber Command it is known locally as the Normanton Airfield.

Built in 1940 by George Wimpey & Co. Ltd it became operational in September 1941 and was used by  the RAF, RAAF and USAAF.

58 planes and their flight crews were lost in action.

See the  Bomber Command official web site for a brief history of Normanton Airfield

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/s68.html

Two more detailed histories are available.

One on this site – Bottesford Airfield – Some historical notes: http://www.bottesfordhistory.org.uk/page_id__273.aspx

A second in the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Bottesford

A gallery of recent photographs is also available on Action Stations – past and present:

http://actionstations.fotopic.net/c519671.html

http://www.actionstations.fotopic.net/c519671.htm

The control tower has recently been fully restored and is now used as offices.

See the Bottesford Airfield, historic Control Tower: This site gives details of this recent restoration

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/B/Bottesford.htm

 

This page was added on 06/03/2007.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *