Bottesford church choir - Miss James choir-mistress
The chorister pose outside St Mary’s church in Bottesford. In the foreground seated is the choir leader Miss Beatrice James who with her sister Eleanor (“Nellie”) lived at No.6 Church Street for many years.
Miss Margaret Taylor informs us that two other people in the picture are Arthur Henry Taylor (front row, 3rd from left) and Mr Harry Bugg (gentleman immediately behind Miss James). Arthur Henry Taylor was one of four sons (also Sid, Bob and Jim) of village butcher Arthur Edward Taylor. The family business A.E.Taylor and Sons is still in business at The Cross in the middle of the village. Arthur Henry joined the South Staffordshires aged 17 in 1916, and served at Ypres and Cambrai before returning to run the family shop and living to be 56.