These instructions provide a quick introduction to:
1. Viewing the list of posts
2. Finding particular posts
3. Editing a pending post
4. Editing more than one post at a time
5. Sorting the list of posts
6. Editing a post while browsing the public view of the site
These instructions are aimed at editors of the website.
1: VIEWING THE LIST OF POSTS
1. Log in and go to the Dashboard. Click on the Posts link and then select All Posts.
2. You should see a screen headed All Posts containing a list of the posts that have been created for the site.
3. Hold your cursor over the title of a post. You will see links to edit, view and “trash” the post. Note that:
• If you trash the post, it is unpublished and moved to the trash list, but it is not actually deleted forever until the trash list is emptied.
• The quick edit link allows you to edit a certain aspects of the post, such as its title, but not edit the main content of the post.
2: FINDING PARTICULAR POSTS
Above the list of posts, you can see various ways of finding particular posts. For example, you can view posts by category and according to the date on which they were created (grouped by month).
There is also a search box which will allow you to search for posts by keyword.
3: EDITING A PENDING POST
When a contributor creates a new post, it remains as a ‘pending’ post until an editor has reviewed it. By default, newly-created pending posts will be shown at the top of the list of posts.
To review and publish a pending post:
1. Click on the title of the post to edit it.
2. Sub-edit the text of the post and check the caption/credit etc for the images. (See the separate hand-out on Creating a post as an editor for more details.)
3. Tick the categories to which the post should below. Note that if you want to put a post into a sub-category (for example, the sub-category of Churches inside the category of Buildings), then you should only tick the sub-category, not the parent category (just tick Churches, not Buildings as well).
4. Add any keywords. As you start to type a keyword, a list of existing keywords beginning with the same letters will start to appear, to help you choose.
5. Click on the Publish button
4: EDITING MORE THAN ONE POST AT A TIME
You can also try out certain actions on more than one post at a time: for example, moving the posts to trash or changing the categories that the posts are in. To do this:
• Select the posts you wish to edit and tick the small box at the left of the title of each post.
• Click on the Bulk Actions list. You will see you can either trash the selected posts or edit the posts.
• If you edit the posts, you will be able to alter certain aspects of the posts, in particular the category of the post. This is a good way of moving a number of posts from one category of the site to another.
• To confirm the action that you want to apply to the posts, click on Apply.
5: SORTING THE LIST OF POSTS
If you click on the headings at the top of each column of the list of posts (for example, Author or Category), this will re-order the list.
For example if you select Author then the posts will be sorted according to the username of the author, which provides a way of easily finding posts which have been created by a particular person.
6: EDITING A POST WHILE BROWSING THE PUBLIC VIEW OF THE SITE
When you are logged into the site as an editor or administrator, you will find that there is an Edit Post link at the very top of the screen when you are viewing each post. This provides a shortcut to editing that particular post.