The Land it stands on
The land the hall stands on
By Norman Robinson
Bottesford Village Hall is a registered charity and as such, the overriding responsibility for the committee is to provide a self financing Village Hall for Bottesford.
The Victory Commemoration Hall building and the land it stands on was purchased by three gentlemen – Leonard Barnes, Albert Palmer and Alec Doncaster for £99 from the Marsh family in 1954.
- In 1961 the Victory Commemoration Hall was registered as a Charity, and the three gentlemen mentioned above became Holding Trustees.
- Since 1961, as Charity Trustees, the VC Hall Management Committee have had full management, control and ownership of the land and buildings.
- In 1976 Bottesford Parish Council took over as Holding Trustees from Albert Palmer who presumably was the only surviving member of the initial group of three gentlemen.
- In 1978, further land was purchased by the VC Hall Management Committee which enabled an extension of the hall and provided the current car park.
- In 1998 the Village Hall Committee decided that due to the increasing costs of maintenance of the existing hall, that it was time to look at the possibility of raising funds for a new hall.
- After extensive fundraising and grant requests, work started on the new hall in January 2003 and was completed in August 2003.
- In 2005 the Charity Commission took over from the Parish council as holding trustees.