J.D. Robinson (far left in the photograph – b.1864, d.1947) moved his butchery and pork pie business from Queen Street to Market Street in 1899 although the 1899 Wright’s Directory, presumably compiled in 1898, still lists him in Queen Street.
The 1901 Census shows J.D. Robinson as working as a butcher at 15 Market Street and Joseph Martin as a baker and confectioner at 13 Market Street.
We can also identify the children in the photograph from the 1901 census information. From left to right – the children are: James, W. (b.1893, d.1934); Annie (b.1891); Victoria, M (b.1897) – on the knee of Mrs Caroline Robinson (b. 1856, d.); George (b.1889, d.1941) – holding the donkey; Richard (b. 1895, d.1918 ‘in the Great War’) – sitting on the donkey.
By 1908 Kelly’s Directory gives G.H. Goodson as a butcher on Market Street. The 1928 Kelly’s Directory then lists Harry Bugg a butcher at these premises.
After WW2 Mr Frank and Mrs Maisie Goodson ran their butcher and pork pie business from these premises. Their son Andrew Goodson converted it to a restaurant in the early 1990’s.
It is now Paul’s Restaurant. The former slaughter house is now the ‘Wine Lounge’.
Further details can be found in the anonymously authored “A Little History of Bottesford” (please click to see). This records that “J. D. Robinson took over his shop and house, pulled down the middle part which was thatched, had it brick built, had a slaughter house built, also a bake house.”