Church of St John the Baptist, Muston
English Heritage List Entry Number: 1360899
Heritage Category: Listing Grade: II*
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE, MUSTON, Melton, Leicestershire
Parish church. C13 nave and aisles, C14 west tower and chancel. Alterations recorded 1440. Restored 1875-6 by C. kirk. Ironstone with limestone dressings. 3 stage tower, externally of 4 stages defined by string courses. 2-light cusped Y tracery west window. Cusped lancets to ringing chamber and 2-light Decorated belfry windows. Corbel table below 4 corner pinnacles. Octagonal broach spire with 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes decreasing markedly in size. They alternate between facets and contain Decorated 2-light tracery. 3-light Perpendicular south aisle windows under pointed arches. 2-and 3-light Perpendicular north aisle windows under pointed segmental arches. 3 2-light cusped clerestory windows each side under flat heads with hoods. Gabled north and south porches, both with moulded arched entrances. North porch has in addition stepped diagonal buttresses and 2 crocketed pinnacles. South porch has set into its east wall a monument to William Brown, 1761. 2 2-light Flamboyant chancel south windows and 2 3-light north windows separated by an arched Priest’s door. 3-light east window of elongated reticulation units. South and east windows probably 1875. Interior. 3-bay C13 arcade, the octagonal piers with polygonal bases and capitals. Capitals with nailhead and occasional crocket decoration. Double chamfered arches. Triple chamfered tower arch and depressed chancel arch. C19 nave roof of ties, ridge piece and one pair butt purlins. 19 C15 poppyheads remain to later benches. Octagonal C15 font with hollow sides to stem, each with 2 fleurons. 4 carved heads to base. Bowl has split-cusped quatrefoils to each facet containing grimacing heads. C15 screen of 3 cusped lights right and left of cusped ogee opening is so restored as to appear entirely C19. Chancel roof as nave. Wall monument in chancel to Robert Sanderson, 1682. Heads of chancel south windows contain fragments of late C14 stained glass.
SK 82901 37845