Muston Village Cross
Scheduled Ancient Monument – National Monument No.30232
The Green, Woolsthorpe Lane, Muston – SK 8277 3759
Medieval base, shaft and cross added 1911 by the Rector, Canon Nugee. Located in centre of small green away from traffic.
English Heritage provide the following description:
The village cross 70m east of Mountain Ash Farm represents a good example of a medieval standing cross which is believed to stand in or near its original position. Limited activity in the area immediately surrounding the cross indicates that archaeological deposits relating to the monument’s construction and use will survive intact. While most of the cross survives from medieval times, the subsequent restoration of the shaft of the cross illustrates its continued function as a public monument and amenity.
The monument includes the village cross 70m east of Mountain Ash Farm, a standing stone cross of medieval and later date. The cross, which is Listed Grade II*, includes a base of four steps, a socket stone, a shaft, and an ornamental head. The steps are square in plan and constructed from ashlar blocks. On the uppermost step stands the socket stone which is approximately 0.82m square at its base and up to 0.5m in height. The socket stone has chamfered angles with roll moulded shields. The socket stone and base are thought to be medieval in date and are clearly depicted in an 18th century engraving. Set into the centre of the socket stone is the shaft, of square section at its base, rising through chamfered corners in tapering octagonal section. The shaft is thought to date from the 19th century, when the cross was restored. The head takes the form of a crenellated cross and also dates from the 19th century. The full height of the cross is approximately 5.38m.