A painting showing an aerial view of The Vineries
This vivid scene, painted from an aerial photo we assume, shows The Vineries market gardens during the time when the Howitt family were proprietors. Sadly, we are not aware of the identity of the accomplished artist.
The picture shows the glass houses originally supplied by T. Messenger & Co. Ltd of Loughborough in 1896. In it we also see the Edwardian proprietor’s house and also the boundary wall and water tower, and behind the wall are the houses along Belvoir Avenue as well as the cluster of cottages on the site of the former Belvoir Road corn mill.
However, the presence in the scene of the modern house to the right of the Edwardian owner’s house, built for the Bagnall family not long before the business closed, indicates that the picture was painted around 1970.