Aerial photograph of The Vineries, Belvoir Road
An aerial photograph looking approximately northwestwards. The long glass houses and other buildings of the market gardens known as The Vineries occupied a plot stretching back from from Belvoir Road, the road seen crossing the field of view diagonally in the bottom right hand corner of the picture. The site of The Vineries is now occupied by a small estate of modern houses on Howitt’s Close and the adjoining closes. The lane running back from Belvoir Road across the top of the picture is Belvoir Avenue, still unadopted to this day. On its corner with Belvoir Road are the cottages and old mill buildings that were part of the Belvoir Road Corn Mill, that stood at this spot. The other houses that front onto Belvoir Road, top right and bottom left of the picture, are Edwardian villas. A set of Edwardian workers cottages are seen alongside Belvoir Avenue. The date of this picture may be around 1950, because the radiating boundaries of gardens belonging to council houses on newly built Keel Crescent can be seen.