This series of pictures, provided by Richard and Michael Bradshaw, was taken from the parapet of Bottesford church tower (the “Holliers”), plus one from beside the railway line, by Police Sergeant Arthur Bradshaw during 1953/4. The original prints had suffered over the years, but digital enhancement has brought them back to life. They show the village after The Square had been built, but before further major changes had taken place. The Gas Works is still there, as is Singleton’s Farm on Chapel Street. An additional shot was taken beside the railway just west of the station, showing a train pulling in.
In historical terms, these are important pictures. We hope to add a set of photos of the same views but taken during the 2007 Gala weekend, to see how great the changes have been during the last 50 years.