By David Middleton
A Grade 2 Listed 18th Century building.
The central chimney might indicate it was built on the site of an older property. The chimney breast in the lounge bars is huge with stone linen fold pillars on the fireplace. These were uncovered during renovations carried out in the 1980’s when the lounge bar was extended on the eastern side.
For many years this was a Hardy and Hanson pub serving Kimberly Beers.
Licensees of note
Richard Cooper (1822)
Edward James (1851)
Francis James (1863, 1877)
Francis James, publican and machine owner (1880, 1881, 1899 and 1900)
Edward Greenbury (1901)
Robert Henry Mann (1908)
Ernest Lamb (1916)
Lawson Lane (1928)
Ernest Lamb (1932, 1936)
Arthur H. Lamb (1941)
Fred Allcorn (1940s)
Mr. and Mrs. Standley (until 1951)
Mr. and Mrs Norman Smith (1950s)
Mr. and Mrs. Beacroft (1962/1982) – Margot Beacroft’s licence was the last one to be issued at the old Belvoir Court House near the Castle.
Mr. and Mrs. Kay (1980s)
Mr. and Mrs. S. Middleton (1990s)
All the major Nottingham breweries had pubs in Bottesford
Shipstones – The Rutland Arms
Home Ales – Bull Inn
Hardy and Hanson – Red Lion