Farewell to the Red Lion?
A historic village landmark
The Red Lion has been part of Bottesford life for around 300 years. The first reference we have come across is in the Stamford Mercury, September 7th 1738, but it may well have been in existence as an inn before this. It is a Grade 2 Listed building, on the corner of Church Street, part of the group of old buildings close to the medieval cross which form the village conservation area.
Since the pub’s closure, a planning application has been made that will bring its history to an end: Change of use and alterations (including demolition of rear extension and erection of new single storey rear extension) of existing public house building to form 2 dwellings, and erection of 2(No.) 3-bedroom dwellings (Planning Applications, Bottesford Parish Council ).
Friends of the Red Lion
The ‘Friends of the Red Lion’ group have obtained registration of the pub as an Asset of Community Value. They are exploring the feasibility of running the Red Lion as a community pub. Community action has staved off the closure of the library. Can Bottesford summon up enough community spirit to keep the Red Lion going?
The Red Lion is a Grade-II Listed Building
English Heritage is the official guardian of England’s historic buildings. It states: “We are the public body that looks after England’s historic environment” and “We champion and protect historic places, helping people understand, value and care for them”.
English Heritage maintains the register of buildings judged to be of historic and architectural importance to the nation – Listed Buildings.These are “buildings that are of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them. The whole of the building is listed, including the interior. Objects, structures and affixed to a listed building or within its curtilage may also be listed. Curtilage is an area of land around a listed building”.
There are several Listed Buildings in Bottesford, including the Red Lion, whose entry No.1075098 says: The Red Lion, Grantham Road, Bottesford Grade II: Public house. Mid C18 with later extensions. Rendered and whitewashed brick. Pantile roofs. Main block to east: 2 storeys in 2 bays, central doorway blocked. Windows are 3-light casements, centre opening, under segmental heads. Gabled roof with large transverse stack in centre. To west is mid C18 2-storey house now with large hipped mid C20 porch attached to south front. One 3-light casement to each floor. Brick eaves cornice below gabled roof and internal gable-end stack to west. C19 extension abuts to west gable. Interior with C20 details.
The central chimney is probably a survival of the older building, possibly a farmhouse, around which the Red Lion developed. The chimney breast in the lounge bars is huge with stone linen fold pillars on the fireplace. These were uncovered during renovations carried out in the 1980s.
Licensees of The Red Lion since 1822
Richard Cooper (1822)
Edward James (1851)
Francis James (1863, 1877)
Francis James, publican and machine owner (1880, 1881, 1899, 1900)
Edward Greenbury (1901)
Robert Henry Mann (1908)
Ernest Lamb (1916)
Lawson Lane (1928)
Ernest Lamb (1932, 1936)
Fred Allcorn (1940s)
Arthur H. Lamb (1941)
Mr. and Mrs. Standley (until 1951)
Mr. and Mrs Norman Smith (1950s)
Mr. and Mrs. Beacroft (1962/1982) – Margot Beacroft’s licence was the last one to be issued at the old Belvoir Court House near the Castle.
Mr. and Mrs. Kay (1980s)
Mr. and Mrs. S. Middleton (1990s)