The following web links give an interesting history of the development of the Normanton Airfield in the 2nd World War.
Officially designated as the Bottesford Airfield by Bomber Command it is known locally as the Normanton Airfield.
Built in 1940 by George Wimpey & Co. Ltd it became operational in September 1941 and was used by the RAF, RAAF and USAAF.
58 planes and their flight crews were lost in action.
See the Bomber Command official web site for a brief history of Normanton Airfield
Two more detailed histories are available.
One on this site – Bottesford Airfield – Some historical notes: http://www.bottesfordhistory.org.uk/page_id__273.aspx
A second in the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Bottesford
A gallery of recent photographs is also available on Action Stations – past and present:
The control tower has recently been fully restored and is now used as offices.
See the Bottesford Airfield, historic Control Tower: This site gives details of this recent restoration